Water scarcity is a global crisis which is faced by many countries across the world. It is one of the most serious risk faced by the world at different sector(social, economic, political and environmental). Around 1.2 billion people, or almost one-fifth of the world's population, live in areas of water scarcity, and 500 million people are approaching this situation. Another 1.6 billion people, or almost one quarter of the world's population, face economic water shortage (where countries lack the necessary infrastructure to take water from rivers and aquifers).
1. High-level project introduction and performance expectation
Water scarcity is a global crisis which is faced by many countries across the world. It is one of the most serious risk faced by the world at different sector(social, economic, political and environmental). Around 1.2 billion people, or almost one-fifth of the world's population, live in areas of water scarcity, and 500 million people are approaching this situation. Another 1.6 billion people, or almost one-quarter of the world's population, face economic water shortage (where countries lack the necessary infrastructure to take water from rivers and aquifers).
This scarcity is due to improper analysis of water resources. Globally, at least 2 billion people use feces contaminated water resources for drinking purpose feces. Contaminated water can transmit diseases such as diarrhoea, cholera, dysentery, typhoid, and polio. And it is estimated that around 4,85,000 diarrhea deaths per year have been resulted from consuming contaminated water. Till now more than 2.1 billion people lack access to pure water and about 40% of the global population face water scarcity. These problem are due to improper inspection of water on the basis of quality and quantity. So, prior analysis of these factors will help us to use water in an adequate manner. Hence, this project provides this analysied data of water resources and to use it in a proper way. By knowing the output of this project i.e the quantity and quality of the water resources, we can use it for many purposes. In this project use the Intel FPGA board to collect data and store it in the Azure cloud for further analysis.
2. Block Diagram
3. Expected sustainability results, projected resource savings
So completing this project we should successfully able to collect proper and true information on the available quantity and quality of the water resources in a selected geographical area
- This method of providing data about a particular area in prior can be helpful to analyze whether the quantity of water will be sufficient for the usage of people in that geographical area.
- By making a proper analysis of the water resources we’ll be able to find the quality of the water, hence it can be treated and used. This in turn helps in reducing the water-contaminated diseases.
- And also by proper quantity analysis, we could interpret the relation between the amount of water sources and the need or usage of water by people in that particular geographical area.
- If there is no proper analysis people tend to overuse or wastewater abundantly, which will lead to water scarcity in the future.
- The data obtained from the analysis from time to time can be used for future research purposes.
4. Design Introduction
We use an Intel FPGA board as a IoT device to find the quality and quantity of the water resources and store the data in the Azure cloud database. We try to collect information in the time period of each hour and process it in the FPGA and store it in local storage and Azure cloud.
5. Functional description and implementation
To start with the Design Introduction initially we are analyzing the quality and quantity of the water resources in a selected geographical region. We use an IOT device that sends ultrasonic waves which help in finding the depth of the water resources. The volume of the water reservoir is found using the depth of the reservoir and depth contour map. Hence by this method, we calculate the quantity of the water resources. Next moving on to the quality checking we connect a few sensors to the IoT device fixed in the water resources. These sensors check the total dissolved solids, salinity, ph, oxygen level of the water. By this, the quality and the quantity are analyzed from time to time. The obtained data is processed in the FPGA board. The processed data along with the time of data collected is stored in the local storage. At the same time if the IoT is connected to the cloud the processed data and time is uploaded to the Azure Cloud database and if not it tries to connect to the cloud and the connectivity is checked until it connects to the cloud. It is repeated from time to time. By this, we analyze the quantity and quality of the water reservoirs.
The collected data in the Azure cloud is accessed by the user through the webpage. The data is represented in a detailed manner along with the rainfall of the previous year and the population of the specified geographical area.
Coming to the Implementation, there is no large component to set up in this project. It is very simple by placing an IoT device on the surface of the water. After implementing this, the data get starts stored in the cloud. Access to the database will be provided to the Ministry of Water resources for making further water development policies and future research purposes.
6. Performance metrics, performance to expectation
- Accurate analysis of quality and quantity of water present in various locations.
- Prediction of the availability of water in the reservoirs based on usage and climate.
- Immediate action if the water is contaminated thereby avoiding its repercussions.
- Planning by the government bodies for the future.
7. Sustainability results, resource savings achieved
Flow chart of the device:
Flow chart of the webpage - User interface:
Water covers 70% of our planet, and it is easy to think that it will always be plentiful. Only 3% of the world’s water is freshwater, and two-thirds of that is tucked away in frozen glaciers or otherwise unavailable for our use. Hence, by using our proposed technique, there will an awareness among the public and also it will be more convenient for us to depict the water availability, by means of which the water scarcity and water-borne diseases will be avoided to the utmost level...